Saturday, March 12, 2011

10 March, 2011

Make a photograph of a beautiful simple shape, such as an egg, today. Utilize lighting and focus to make it sing.

My Claddagh ring. I photographed this baby last year, but I never was fully satisfied with the photos, as the focus wasn't particularly impressive. Upon seeing this assignment, I thought, "You know, now that I've been working with my camera daily for over a year, I bet I could do a better job of photographing this ring." So I grabbed myself some of the green felt that I've used on one other occasion and set up on the deck. Not only was I more experienced, but I was working with natural lighting--my camera's preference. Surely this would be no problem.

Looking back, I can't help laughing at myself. Without a proper macro lens, something as small as a ring is incredibly hard to photograph. This was literally the only shot that turned out and it has even been cropped to bring the frame closer to the subject.

And yet, edited or not, I am very happy with this shot. So at least the one good result was worth it.


On a slightly related note, I have a question for my fellow photographers: what fabrics and colors do you prefer to use as backdrops for subjects that require a blank, non-intrusive background?

1 comment:

  1. Nice shot. Looks like all your hard work payed off. Maybe future shots like this can help you justify the purchase of a macro lens. I LOVE my Canon 100mm.
    As for backdrops I use pretty much anything that's handy. I've used a cotton pillowcase, a red jacket and sometimes bristol paper.

    ReplyDelete